For many of us, hair loss treatment is something we ignore until it becomes obvious. When we start to develop alopecia, we begin a battle against time to find a way to combat this loss, frantically researching various hair replacement and transplant options. This August marks the beginning of National Hair Loss Awareness Month in the USA, and Australia’s Alopecia Awareness Week occurs in just a few months’ time. With that in mind we thought it timely to add our expertise to the matter and for people living in or around Brisbane how we can help.
If you’re one of the 147 million suffering from alopecia or you happen to know someone who is, an understanding what causes the condition is the obvious starting point for being able to select the best treatment.
What is alopecia?
- ‘Alopecia’ is a blanket medical term used to describe many degrees and types of hair loss. Experts estimate that the condition’s cause is 90% genetic, with the remaining 10% caused by environment, stress, or medical conditions.
- Alopecia afflicts men and women of all ages and races. We can all expect to deal with some degree of hair loss as we age.
- The three most common types of alopecia range from losing small patches of body hair (Alopecia Areata), head baldness (Alopecia Areata Totalis), to losing every hair on your body (Alopecia Areata Universalis).
- For some people Alopecia is barely noticeable and resolves on its own after a few months, while others experience prolonged and dramatic hair loss for which a long-term solution is required.
What causes alopecia?
There’s no single factor that triggers alopecia, and therefore there’s no quick fix for it. While you should always consult a doctor for an official diagnosis to rule out rare causes such as a zinc or iron deficiency, or undiagnosed autoimmune disorder, most doctors suspect that the condition is caused by the body’s androgens (a male hormone that men and women have) that bind to scalp follicle receptors, causing them to shrink to the extent where they cannot support hair production. This usually only occurs on the scalp, which is why many men can still sport full beards even when experiencing hair loss.
For most men, alopecia starts developing in their late twenties and early thirties, with the hair loss progressing back from their hairline into a horseshoe shape, leaving hair on the sides and back of their heads.
For most women with alopecia, hair thinning occurs all over the head, concentrated at the top. It often occurs after menopause, which for most women is an intense period of hormonal disruption in the female body.
What are your treatment options?
The moment you detect that your hair has begun thinning, or if you are experiencing more hair loss than normal, you need to implement a hair loss regime. Waiting until your hair loss becomes obvious can be detrimental to your mental health, as you will naturally start to feel self-conscious and unattractive, which in turn can cause you to avoid people and other forms of socialising.
Popular solutions include sewn or clipped in hair extensions, which are great for special occasions but not recommended for daily use, as they place significant strain on your hair. There are also prescribed anti-androgenic medications you can take, but as these affect your hormone levels, many people find the side effects intolerable.
For most people, arresting and possibly reversing hair loss involves a combination of carefully chosen solutions that deal with the underlying issue, as well as your hair’s surface appearance.
Finding a hair loss treatment that works for you
Treating hair loss can be done through hair transplant surgery, where robust follicles from other parts of your body are carefully harvested and grafted onto the areas in need of coverage. This is a good option for those suffering from extensive and permanent hair loss. There is also the option to use laser therapy to stimulate weakened follicles back to their former health, but whether this will be applicable in your hair loss situation will depend on your specific situation.
To get your alopecia problem nipped in the bud, it’s best to make an appointment with a hair loss clinic that can talk you through the best option for your budget, timeframe, and severity of hair loss.
Hundreds of patients at Brisbane’s Meraki Hair Loss Clinic have experienced great success with restoring hair loss. We offer a short term, instant solutions in the form of our popular Mane Hair Thickener, a treatment that can improve your hair’s appearance, while you decide how to proceed with more long-term treatment.
Alopecia may be a common affliction experienced all over the world, but it doesn’t mean you have to suffer through it alone, or that it’s inevitable.
Allow Meraki Hair Loss Clinic to help you today. Call Brisbane 0408 971 895
Related Tag: Alopecia Brisbane